Sunday, August 18, 2013

Breast Milk for Chicks?

Well not exactly, but yolk is what the chicks eat inside the egg as they are developing embryos. So I was thinking wouldn't cooked egg yolk fed to chicks now help give a natural boost to their immune system as well as be a completely organic unaltered nutritious snack for them? Infant mammals thrive on breast milk and it is essential to developing babies health and immune systems. After doing a little research, it seems that I am not the only person to think along these lines. So after cleaning up some eggs for the fridge, I decided to boil up a treat for the chicks. I hard boiled a dozen eggs and took out all the yolks [the pigs and chickens enjoyed the shells and whites]. I then crumbled up about half a yolk on a plate and set it into the brooders. The blue laced red wyandottes, welsummer, silver laced wyandottes, and speckled sussex went crazy! They immediately devoured it all, chasing each other around in a game of 'chicken football' as I like to call it. The blue silkies and guineas were a bit slower to respond, but seem to be enjoying them as well! Once the plates were empty, I removed them and watched the little ones chirping away happily. I will take notes to see if there are any issues with it, but I think I just found a great snack that will help out the wee ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment