Tuesday, August 13, 2013

An End of Summer?

I know that in our area, it has been one strange Spring/Summer. Compared to last year, it was an almost complete reversal. Instead of bludgeoning heat and drought conditions that greeted us this year, we have been pounded with humidity, cool weather, and rain. The weather channel is even calling for temperatures in the 40s tomorrow night??? The crops have suffered in spurts, still no red tomatoes, no hot peppers, slow growing squash, corn, and cukes. The greens seem to be enjoying and performing well, but that's about it. Lost the beans and cabbage to the deer. Another thing that I have been noticing is what seems to be an amazing number of late births in the surrounding wildlife. Most of the fawns that I have been seeing are tiny, hen turkeys wandering the woods with a single poult, robins laying eggs now or making new nests to start a clutch. My friend who is a botanist has been noticing the same things in the woodlands surrounding his home, so I know it is not my mind playing tricks on me. Then driving home on Friday, I noticed a couple tree that were changing colors already. On today's ride home the number was astonishing and their is an unmistakable chill in the air. Is fall fast approaching with winter right behind? Will we have a more intense winter this year? How will an early fall effect the livestock and wildlife? Lots of questions, that only time will answer. Not much time to stop and ponder, remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment